Who Are We?
- Our Mission: Increase government transparency. We're building a collaborative network to help streamline the arcane legislative process.
- Why: Google and DISH, both Abstract users, are still using spreadsheets and print paper to analyze legislation. They deserve a 21st century tool to work with policy.
- Investors: Led by Amplify.LA, StageVP, Dan Offner (General Counsel of Oculus when sold to FB), and Jarl Mohn (Former CEO of NPR News & Founder of E! Entertainment).
- Team: Engineers looking to disrupt the government space.
Who Are You?
We are on the search for a talented Data Engineering Intern with a positive attitude, and drive to re-imagine how society and government operate. The role consists of a wide range of responsibilities regarding how the Abstract product collects, cleans, and processes multiple types of legislative data.
The Data Engineering Intern will report directly to the CTO and Lead Back-end Engineer, and will play an essential role in building and maintaining new data pipelines that are expected to be secure and reliable. There will be constant communication with the CTO, Lead Back-end Engineer, and Front-end Engineer on plans regarding integrating new types of data, setting up new services, and ensuring that the system as a whole is clean and running as efficiently as possible.
- Solid understanding of Python
- Experience working in, and leading an agile work environment is a plus.
- Build new document parsers that collect and store organization stances on CA legislation using Django. Documents may come in multiple forms depending on house of origin, author, legislative session, etc.
- Assist in the implementation of software that detects instances of CA legislation being gutted and amended. Work with the Lead Back-end Engineer to solidify expected outputs and order of program in Abstract's main data pipelines.
- Assist in implementation of new data services to collect codes, local data, regulations, and more.
- Hourly pay of $15 USD/hour with average of 15 - 20 hours of work per week
- Work is not to exceed 20 hours per week
- Compensation will last for the duration of the pre-determined period of work (i.e. between "Expected Start Date" and "Expected End Date" listed above)
Interested? Send us your resume at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.