XR Should Expose The Elites’ Net Of Deception To Enlarge Support
Unveiling the elites’ net of deception is probably the best move to gather the support of large portions of the population at the current stage of our rebellion (i.e. wealth inequality).
The success of the April 2019 actions and Fridays For Future were enough to raise awareness on the climate crisis at an all times high, but was not enough. Now we need large numbers of the population to joint the movement, in particular for the October 2019 actions.
The deception machine has already started as Policy Exchange think tank put out a report claiming that Extinction Rebellion is an extremist organisation. The report attempted to link XR to terrorism. Billionaires like George Soros are now heavily investing on Citizen Assembly’s organization, for example the support to the CA in Ireland. This may be one of the reasons for the poor outcome of the Assembly on the environment.
Also, many people get scared when they discover the size of the crisis and worry that a solution will come by rising taxes and reducing the quality of life of the poorest majority.
As mentioned in Roger Hallams’ book, Common Sense for the 21st Century, the climate/ecological crisis, extreme inequality and corruption are crucial topics for movement buildup. It will also avoid XR to be framed as just “environmental protestors” and therefore a “special interest” group.
It may be important to address inequality now and in particular the following topics:
1) 26 people owned the same as the 3.8 billion people who make up the poorest half of humanity in 2017 (A)
2) Only 17 investment management firms controlled $41.1 trillion dollars in 2017 (this is more then the GDP of US, Germany, UK, China and Japan put together). Their biggest problem is they have more capital than there are safe investment opportunities, which leads to risky speculative investments that could be used instead to save the planet.(B)
3) The richest people in the world have as much as $32 trillion sitting in offshore bank accounts to dodge taxes in their home countries (it is the size of the GDP of US and Western Europe countries put together). Some people say this amount is bigger then US$50 trillion nowadays. The main or only purpose of tax heavens is to avoid taxes and to hide final company ownership and illegal money originated from corruption, wars etc. (C)
4) 500 billions dollars in taxes are lost every year worldwide (D)
5) The annual costs of international corruption amount to a staggering $3.6 trillion in the form of bribes and stolen money (E)
6) Multinationals and countries are economic entities. Among the 100 world largest entities 69 are multinationals and 31 countries. For example, Walmart revenues is higher then the Spanish GDP, Amazon revenues is bigger then the Turkish GDP and Apple revenues is bigger then the Swiss GDP. (F)
7) US military alone is a bigger polluter than as many as 140 countries. It produced 1.2 Billion tons of green house gases since 2001. The land pollution footprint of a conventional army is also enormous. (G)
8) World military expenditure grows to $1.8 trillion in 2018. Since the war on terror started in 2001 terrorists attacks increased more then 5 times and spread over 80 countries. More then 6 million civilians and military died in the Middle East and North Africa. More then US$ 5 trillion dollars has been spent so far in these wars. The lies about these wars must stop and funds and resources redirected to save the planet. (G)
9) The wealth of more than 2,200 billionaires across the globe had increased by 12% ($900bn) in 2018 – or $2.5bn a day. The wealth of the poorest half of the world’s population fell 11%. (H)
10) In the US alone, over the last 30 years the growth in the incomes of the bottom 50% has been zero, whereas incomes of the top 1% have grown 300%. (I)
11) Richest 1% bagged 82% of wealth created in 2017 - poorest half of humanity got nothing. (J)
12) Climate Change Is a $26 Trillion Growth on Business Opportunity for the wealthy. (K)
We need to provide this information widely, on social media, during our talks, as we do to data related to the environment crisis. We are not blaming or shaming anyone, we are showing statistical data that point to the source of planets’ destruction and the resources available to fix it.
Many are concerned that our non-violent actions to block roads, bridges etc may eventually affect negatively peoples ‘perceptions of XR. Blocking industrial sites and airports used by the elites’ jets may not get any publicity and they will try to downplay our efforts.
With one click, all our social media can be deactivated, search engines will not find our website and it can also be attacked by malwares. Mainstream media will not think twice to manipulate facts and stories in order to deceive the population, as they are currently doing with Julian Assange and others.
It is now time to harness peoples’ willpower to join us before it is too late by telling them the truth!
Technical and economic solutions to climate crisis exist, and the money to pay for it is available now. Zero emission by 2025 is possible without harming the most vulnerable!